Brikama Vendors finally vacate
Thursday, September 04, 2008
Following reports of anxiety surrounding calls by the Brikama Area Council (BAC) for vendors and shopkeepers around the old Brikama Car Park to vacate the vicinity, reports have emerged that some vendors have finally decided to abide by the order.
Reports indicate that those vendors who finally decided to call it quits are relocating to the former craft market, as they had earlier been instructed to do by the management of the council.
The vendors had earlier complained about the evacuation order, accusing the BAC management of giving them an extremely short notice.
However, the public relations officer of the council, Mr Sereign Modou Joof had countered that the management had informed the vendors about their imminent relocation since 2006, adding that BAC had had several meetings with them, where they had discussed issues surrounding their relocation and a common understanding was reached. Joof said the council's decision to relocate the vendors was taken in the interest of the state.
When the Daily Observer visited the old Brikama Craft Market (where the vendors are being relocated to) yesterday, some of the vendors said they were coping with the situation.
As in the words of one of them: "We have finally adhered to the council's decision in good faith."
They said that although it would be a serious setback on their businesses, relocating to another place was better than to lose all.
However, some other vendors have continued to exhibit resistance, saying that they were now in a state of dismay.
Author: by Amadou Jallow