The agony of a single mother who lost all in a fire disaster
Friday, June 22, 2012
very useful in our daily lives in diverse ways due to its indispensable nature.
It is used in homes, especially for our cooking needs, as well as for the
supply of energy through technology, amongst other activities. However, it can
be very destructive when not carefully handled.
spate of fire disasters in the country is alarming. Fires have already caused
considerable damage to countless number of properties and belongings and to a
large extent affected even lives. The causes of these fire outbreaks that are
reported are most of the time similar – electrical fault, candle light, gas
explosions, and so on.
The outcome of these disasters often force the victims into a situation of destitution and dilemma, as they usually lose everythingincluding food items, clothes, sources of income within the household, and other valuables, thus making life unbearable if no assistance is forthcoming.
This is the story of a single mother of five children who had except the clothes she and her children wore on that fateful day lost virtually everything in a fire accident that was caused by electrical fault. The Daily Observer confirmed her story and it was observed that Mariama Jallow, 31, had until the incident lived happily with her five poor school going children depending on a hard petty trading to make ends meet.
Tabokoto resident has since made a passionate appeal to the general public to
come to her aid in this trying moment, particularly in the area of food and
other means to enable her start her usual business. But, as she puts it, she is
deeply frustrated asno assistance
has been forthcoming from the general public since the incident.
desperately looking for help from anywhere. Since the incident occurred, I was
only given a handful of second hand clothing from the Disaster Management
Committee of West Coast Region. But my concern is the food which is currently
lacking because I believe before you can put on something like cloth you must
have something first on the table to eat.
I am jobless with no outside support,
a single mother supporting the feeding, clothing and education of five children
through my petty business, which has come to a standstill because the materials
used for that income generating activity to support my family were all
destroyed by the fire,” the young mother narrated in tears.
incident, Madam Jallow’s only source of incomewasthe selling
of boabab juice commonly known as ice in the streets of Kanifing Municipality.
But that business, which she described as a bit lucrative for her could no
longer continue after the fire disaster because all the five deep freezers that
make the ice were all destroyed during the outbreak. In addition, Madam Jallow
also pays a rent of D1, 500 and an electricity of D1, 500 monthly; and these
monies were paid from the income she generates from the petty trading.
selling juice to support my family from feeding, to clothing and education; a
trade I was content with. I had five refrigerators, two of which were bought at
D9, 000 each; whilst the rest were purchased at D4, 000 each. Those
refrigerators were enough for my petty trading as they enabled me to generate
the income I need to support my family.
But now with no penny left in my coffers after the incident, it is difficult to replace these assets to start all over again. I have explored every opportunity for assistance but to no avail because life has become very unbearable for me and my children, whose educations are also at risk,” the sad-looking Jallow, who couldn’t hold her tears, further narrated.
In fact, one of Jallow’s sons nearly lost his life in the disaster. He was at the time of the incident sleeping inside. But due to the motherly love and the fact that she couldn’t bear to see her child perish in an inferno in her presence, she took the risk of rescuing him from the blazing inferno through the window.
“I also sustained a minor injury during the course of the rescue but I [would] rather perish with him there than to see him helplessly screaming for rescue. But I thank God that his life was spared by the fire even though he sustained an injury, which he is recovering from,” the single mother added.
Giving the sympathetic nature of her situation, Mariama Jallow is now appealing to the general public, the NGO community, aid agencies, the National Disaster Management Agency, and any other individual both within and outside the country to come to her aid.
The woman can be reached on 3658213 or 3658204.
Author: Hatab Fadera